Sunday 23 May 2010

Wales Part 2: New Quay

Hello everyone!

I'm back to recount my second stop in my Wales trip, New Quay. Sorry I've been MIA, I had 2 finals back to back last week and was kind of stressing. But I'm back now!

So I took the bus from Cardigan to New Quay halfway through my week vacation. The bus system in Wales was great. You could board for about 3-4 pounds and take it to the next 5 towns or so. When I got to New Quay, I got off at the wrong bus stop (whoops). So I had to hike for about 15 minutes back into town and then find my B&B.

My room

My B&B was located right across from the beach. It was so gorgeous. I had my own double bed and bathroom/shower. After unloading my bag, I went off to explore the town.
View from the B&B
A neat boat that was anchored right outside the local RNLI
It was actually HOT here! I got to spend a few hours reading on the beach with my toes in the sand.
See! No shoes! It was so hot. But then the next day I had to buy sunglasses and sunscreen because I burnt.
Other end of the beach
Bunch of sailboats with low tide.
Panoramic I took of the beach
I walked down to a point and the sand had turned into millions of little shells.
I found a cave.
I felt like I was on Lost. Although I took this picture quite quickly because it was very dark and my imagination told me that a murderer was in there. Too much CSI and Criminal Minds.
More shell beach!

I had lunch on a little patio since it was so nice out! I can't remember where I had dinner that night though...oh well.

The next morning I got up early to find the coastal path and spend my day doing that. I got a latte from the local coffee shop with the more genius coffee lids EVER:


Seriously. Tim Hortons, get on this.

Anyways, I found the coastal walk and began my hike. The hike was 13 miles round trip and went by the coast on the way there and back roads the way back. It was the most gorgeous hike I've ever been on. This was my favorite out of the all the coastal hike sections I did this trip.

Panoramic I took at the start of the walk. That's New Quay below.
There was a section of the path that went so close to the cliff. I thought I was going to fall in.
Old Coast Guard station. Reminds me of Jacob's lighthouse in Lost.
The walk went through a bunch of sheep farms.
Cute!
More yellow flower bushes!
A beach where I stopped to eat lunch.
My view for lunch.
Beach I explored a bit.

Signs for different paths
Halfway done! Time to start circling back.
Saw lots of "wildlife" - horses, cows, sheep, ect
The path back went through the "countryside".
Nice waterfall action.
Coming back into New Quay.

That night I had dinner at a local pub and read on the sea wall until it got dark. It was such a nice place, I definitely want to go back to New Quay.

Next (and last) stop: Aberystwyth!

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    Beautiful place, I now understand why this was your favourite spot.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved New Quay, too! By the way, if those lovely yellow flowers have spikes they are called Gorse, if they don't have spikes and look similar, they are Scotch Broom. At least that's what we call them:-) We mainly have Scotch Broom here, but down near Genoa Bay there is one patch of Gorse and it really does have spikes on the stalk!


    Auntie Cheri

    ReplyDelete